This Website and the Sub Sites attached to it use cookies. For details please click here. By continuing to use this Website or any Sub Sites, you are consenting to the use of these cookies. You can switch off cookies at any time using your browser settings but if you do, this may affect your user experience.
Progress
Please wait...
hide announcement
banner_image
MARTLEY CRICKET CLUB

1891MARTLEY C.C. 1891 THE OLDEST KNOWN PICTURE OF THE CLUB

The picture above shows a team photo from the 1891 season.

We believe the picture was taken on the Crown Meadow, where the club also played when it was re-formed in 1957.

The building at the back on the left could easily be Crown Inn, with the orchard at the back of the team photo still there in the 21st century.

We are not sure who the players are, but the team that season was generally: Rev J.F. Hastings, T.Potter, A.P. Battersea, J.G. Rogers, M.Coleman, A.Holliday, J.Threlfall, H.Caswell, H.Taylor, W.Holliday, H.Rowley, M.W. Day, Colonel Currie, W.Jones, H.N. Childers, J.Dovey, H.Hemus, B.Preece, T. Jones-Williams, G.Jones-Williams, N.K.Harrison and W.L. Waugh all played at least once during the season according to the scorebook of 1891.

Details of the the Reverand James Francis Hastings, Michael Coleman, Allen Holliday and Joseph Rogers can be found in the article of the 1883 scorebook. 

Colonel Currie lived at Laugherne House, where the club played for some years. Details of his very colourful life can be found at the following link http://www.martley.org.uk/?page_id=578



Scan 150

THE OLDEST KNOWN MARTLEY CC

SCORECARD V HALLOW IN 1860

AFTER SOME RESEARCH WE HAVE MANAGED TO WORK OUT WHO WE THINK SOME OF THE MARTLEY PLAYERS IN THIS MATCH WERE.

C.J. Marshall, Charles James Marshall, his brother Joseph was the curate at Martley from 1859 to 1861, and was also the Chaplain to the Martley Workhouse. He lived at Rectory Cottage.C.J. Marshall is not listed in the 1861 census as living in Martley so may have been a visitor. He was born in Cambridge in 1842 and played one games for Cambridgeshire, against Kent in 1868, scoring 3 in the first innings and 28 in the second in his only first-class game. He died in San Francisco in 1925.

H. Matthews, Henry Matthews, lived on Hillside and would have been 18 or 19 when the game was played. In later life he moved to Fairfield Villa in Grimley, and is listed as Inspector of Nuisances, and Rent and Tax Collector. He died in 1914 aged 72.

 J. Rogers, John Rogers who lived at the Court a Martley and according to the report the game was played on his ground. When the Martley club reformed in 1957 they also played on ground belonging to the Court, known as the Crown Meadow. Was it the same field? John Rogers was born in Martley circa 1808, so would have been in his early fifties at the time of the game. He died in Martley on 5th September 1875.

Weaver, was almost certainly John Weaver who lived at Hillside in Martley and would have been about 27 at the time of the game. He was a shoemaker by trade. He died in 1906.

Page, was almost certainly Edward Page who was the Master of the Workhouse in Martley. He was 30 at the time having been born in Goodnestone in Kent.

Barnes, Williams Barnes, he was the headmaster of the National School in Martley, and later moved to Wells in Somerset where he was also a head teacher.

S. Turberfield, Samuel Turberfield who was 17 at the time, was born in Broadwas and lived at Penny Hill on Martley Hillside.

W. Morris, possibly William Morris who was 40 at the time and lived at Bank Cottage in Martley, having been born in Clifton on Teme, or his son, also William who was 19 at the time and was born in Upper Sapey.

J. Underwood, John Underwood, born in Kidderminster in 1844 so would have been 17 at the time. He was a lodger with the family of Samuel Turberfield at Penny Hill and worked in the quarry.

T. Bishop. One of two possibilities, Thomas Bishop who was a lodger living a Structons Heath between Witley and Stourport who was 22 at the time, but more likely Thomas Bishop who was a Blacksmith and lived at Seven Mile Stone who was 36 at the time of the match. He later lived in Severn Street in Worcester.

Gregg, Frederick Gregg, who lived at Scar Bank in Martley and is listed in the 1861 census as a draper and tailor. He would have been around 30 at the time, and later moved to live at Sneachill near Pershore.

FROM THE BERROWS JOURNAL 5TH APRIL 1879

MARTLEY CRICKET CLUB;

A general meeting of this club for the purpose of electing officers for the coming season was held in the boy’s schoolroom on Friday evening, Mr. J.G.Rogers vice-president in the chair.

There was an excellent muster of members, several honorary supporters of the club attending in order to encourage the more active ones to deeds of valour with the bat and ball during the coming season.

The Rev J.P.Hastings was unanimously elected to the office of President, as was Mr. J.G. Rogers to that of vice-president. The following gentleman were without opposition elected to serve on the executive committee; Rev R.Gray, Messrs H.J.P. Hastings, M.Hastings, M.Coleman and T.J. Warrilow.

Mr.H.J.P. Hastings (proposed by the vice-president and seconded by Mr. T. Oakley) was unanimously elected to the post of captain.

In returning thanks the captain briefly reviewed the season 1878. He congratulated members on winning six of the nine matches. And whilst expressing a hope for the forthcoming season would be still more successful, he pointed out to all the necessity to all of diligent practice.

It was unanimously agreed that the season be opened on Easter Monday with the interesting match Married v Single, the bachelors being most desirous to avenge the defeat inflicted on them last autumn by the benedicts.

The meeting closed with a cordial vote of thanks to the vice-president for his kindness in presiding, which he briefly acknowledged.



THE TEAM IN THE 1930'S

Scan 65

The picture above is taken from a newspaper picture from the 1980's and we would love a copy of the original !

The picture was taken outside Laugherne House where the club played at the time and was sent to the paper by Eddie Taylor, whose brother Arthur is on the picture.

The full line up, front row, left to right; Mrs Nash, Arthur Taylor, Martley school master Mr Knight, Mr Hughes, Arthur Badger, Jack Millward and Mrs Hughes. Back row (not known) Manny Paget, Bill Paget, Bob Foster, Wilf Paget, Jack James, Claude Houlson and Jim Taylor.

The picture below is of Laugherne House as it is today, the columns as on the team picture above can be seen by the front door.

34310_25157319_IMG_01_0000_max_656x437

THE EARLY DAYS 

Martley Cricket Club was formed in the middle of the 19th century.

The exact date is not known but there was certainly a Martley team playing in 1860; see the scorecard on this page, taken from the Berrow's Worcester Journal of the time.

This makes our club older than Worcestershire County Cricket Club who were not officially formed until 1865!

In the early days it was pretty much the “gentry” who played, and matches were often in mid-week.

Travelling was of course a major problem, Martley was not, and has never been, on the railway system, so it would have been carriages to get to away games.

Thus most of the games were against local villages. Hallow, Great Witley, Clifton On Teme and other nearby villages were the regular opponents, with the occasional trip to Worcester to play Claines and Worcester City.

Stourport were also regular opponents, as were Dunley and there were also games against Powick Asylum (later of course Powick Hospital where Martley played until the 1970’s)

There was also a good deal of “country house” cricket at the time, and matches against Spetchley Park and Brockhampton are recorded, the game at Brockhampton according to the Berrows Journal report being played in “Mr Barnebey-Lutley’s beautiful grounds”.

The Hastings Family was very much involved with Martley Cricket Club at this time. In the report of the meeting in 1879 to elect officers; The Reverend J.P. Hastings was the president, and on the committee were H.J.P.Hastings and T.F. Hastings.

H.J.P. was the son of the Reverend J.P. (the then vicar of Martley) who met a sad end, when he was drowned in the River Teme in September 1880. It was said he had gone there to “bathe” but other reports say he was fording the river on his way to Clifton to arrange a cricket match. The latter sounds a far more romantic story.

He was 22 and an Oxford Undergraduate.

The oldest scorebook in the club’s possession is from the 1883 season, (see below) and the first game in the book is a match against Clifton On Teme, played on 23rd July 1883. Martley didn’t do too well in the local derby, being bowled out for 36 in their first innings.

Clifton replied with 70 and Martley were 14 for 8 in the second innings and it appears hung on for a draw.

Top scorer in the game was the Hon and Rev R.C. Moncrieff who hit 27 in the Clifton innings. He also played several games for Martley in later seasons. He was  the Vicar of Clifton-on-Teme from 1875-85 , he succeeded as 3rd Baron Moncreiff in March 1909. One of the top amateur players of his day, and he played a lot of cricket, for Worcestershire,  and for Herefordshire, and in the Eton v Harrow game at Lords in 1862. He even fielded his own team R.C. Moncrieffs Xl against Shropshire in 1879.

He was it seems an excellent golfer as well, and was the captain of the Worcestershire Golf Club in 1880 and 1881

Details from the scorebook of 1883 for the match v Clifton On Teme

IMG_5641

 Who Were They ?

We believe we have found out who most of those listed in the scorebook of 1883 were.

Reverand James Francis Hastings, born in Arley Kings in 1862, and was in Martley by the age of 9 in 1871 when his father became rector or Martley.He spent 53 years in the parish – 16 as curate and 37 as Rector between 1907-1944, he died in Aldershot in Hampshire in 1947. He was he club’s opening batsman for many years and played  a lot of representative cricket for the Clergy and the like.

Michael Coleman, born in Leicestershire he was the head teacher at Martley School and was 35 at the time of the game. He was Martley’s leading bowler of the day and several times took seven wickets in an innings. He later moved to New Milverton in Leamington where he died on the 7th December 1913. His younger brother Henry also played for Martley against Hallow in a two-innings game in August 1883 probably as a guest while on holiday. In the second innings the Coleman brothers bowled Hallow out for 45, Michael took seven wickets and Henry three. Michael also took five in the first innings, so 12 in the game.

 Arthur Palay Battersea, born March 14th 1832 , he was baptised in Tower hamlets in London, where the registered address was Winter’s Cottages, Side Road, Old Town although according to the census of 1861 he was born in Northamptonshire. He was the master of the Martley workhouse and later lived in Lansdowne Road in Worcester. He died in Worcester in 1940. He lost his job at the Workhouse in 1901 after an enquiry. For more details click on http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Martley/

Franklyn Battersea, younger brother of  Arthur, he was born in Newbridge in Ireland in 1855, he later lived in Warwick. He became a storekeeper and died in Warwick in August 1931. He may have been spending the summer with his brother as there is no record of him in any census of Martley, and he only played in 1883.

Joseph Rogers, was the son of John Rogers who is listed in the 1860 team above. He was born in Kidderminster in 1840, and inherited the Court Farm from his father in 1875, this was of course the ground the club played on at the time. Joseph Rogers died in 1900 at the age of 60

A.Holliday, probably Allen Holiday who lived in Berrow Green with his grandfather Charles and his grandmother Amelia who kept the Admiral Rodney. He was 23 at the time of the game, and later moved to Stapenhill near Burton on Trent where he worked in the brewery. He had 14 children 10 of whom survived. In 1911 he was working for Allen and Sons. He later became a shopkeeper and died in Burton in 1925 aged 68.

John Jones Jnr, was almost certainly a farmer living in Pudford Lane who was 39 at the time (not so much a junior)

F. Williams, a mystery, there were no F.Williams listed in Martley in the census of 1883, and he only played in this one game in the whole season. Maybe a guest or holidaymaker. He only batted in the first innings and made a duck.

James Rowley, was a cordwainer, he lived at Scar Cottage and would have been about  44 when the game was played. In later life he moved to Stoney Bridge, also in Martley by which time he was listed as a shoemaker. He died on the 12th January 1919 and his gravestone is in Martley Churchyard, he would have been 79 at the time.

John Jones snr, letter carrier and shoemaker, aged 59 at the time of the match, lived in Berrow Green.

Charles Holliday who lived at Lingens Farm with his parent and was 18 at the time. In later life he moved to the Laurells (sic) in Martley. He was a butcher and after the First World War he moved to 38 Comer Gardens in Worcester, He died in Comer Lodge in 1938 aged 74.Infirmary from Jury Lane_jpg

 The old Martley Workhouse, now a housing estate, stood some 100 yards from the Jewry Field and about 50 years from the club's former ground on the Crown Meadow, on the left hand side after the sharp bend by the Crown. See the story of A.P. Battersea above.

 

                            113036054_137287149686 

The gravestone of James Rowley in Martley Churchyard, see above.